Thursday, January 30, 2014

New Labels For the Kitchen Canisters

I keep my kitchen essentials canisters on the top shelf of one of the cabinets in my kitchen.  Actually, this cabinet is directly above the largest work surface, so it is very handy when I am cooking or baking to have these canisters right at my hand.


Some time ago, I downloaded these fanciful monogram-style labels for each canister - sugar, flour, coffee and tea.  I used an Avery label product which was supposed to be clear and removable so that if I wanted to re-position the labels, I could with ease.  Well, that didn't work out quite as expected.  In defense of the product, it was removable.  The adhesive on the back would allow you to lift the label and re-position. But the label material was not clear.  It was frosted.  I checked the instructions and made certain I bought exactly the Avery label that was indicated.  It was not clear.  No matter how hard I pressed on it to adhere it to the container, it had a frosted finish.  I did not like that.  In general, I just did not like how these turned out at all. It was not the look I was going for.  So I decided to remove these frosted labels and replace them with something much more elegant.


In their place I labeled each jar using Avery #5165 Full Sheet Labels.  This is much better.  A nice, clean look.  And very simple to do.  In Microsoft Word, I opened a text box 4" x 6".  Then I typed in my text and centered it vertically and horizontally.  Next I highlighted the text and chose a font to my liking.  I used Century Gothic for these labels.  It is an uncluttered font which I think looks particularly nice on these labels. They are all positioned uniformly on the canisters.  This was done by measuring down 1-1/2" from the top lip of the container and making a mark with a silver dry-erase Sharpie as seen below.  You will do this twice, making the marks about two inches apart.


Then simply peel off the protective backing on the label which will expose the adhesive and gently, and with as much precision as possible, line up the top of the label with the two silver marks you made previously. Smooth the label tight against the canisters, working out any bubbles.  And there you have it.  A set of canisters nicely labeled and ready for you when you begin your masterpiece in the kitchen.

One additional note - I like the clear glass canisters because I can see when it is time to replenish.  You can find these at Wal*Mart or any of the big box discount home goods stores.

No comments: