Wednesday, February 19, 2014

We Love Stretch and Fresh

If you are a regular reader of WTCA, you know that cling wrap, no matter the brand, is banned from my kitchen.  I don't care if it is left in the box in which it arrives from the store or if it is transferred to some apparatus specially designed for its use.  I will not have it in my kitchen.  I have been searching for an alternative and until just recently had not found a suitable replacement.  That is until I found Stretch and Fresh.  What took so long for this to show up on the market?  I found this at QVC and decided to give it a try.


I frequently stop by both QVC and HSN shopping channels just to see what new, inventive item they have for sale.  Actually, I have been pleased with most everything I have purchased with both companies.  There have been only a few returns over the years.  So when I saw the Stretch and Fresh sales pitch, I fell for it.  I thought it couldn't hurt to give it a try and if I didn't like it or it didn't work, I could send it back.


Shorty after it arrived I found myself in need of a "cling" type wrap to preserve this cantaloupe half.  I cut half into bite sized cubes and sprinkled them with a little Himalayan Pink Salt.  Extraordinary.  You must try this.


So we found the Stretch and Fresh and decided to give it a whirl.


I placed the cantaloupe half in a large glass bowl with sides that were higher that the fruit.


I laid out all of the different sizes of Stretch and Fresh.


For this job, that largest of the mats was what we needed.


After a few tries, I got it stretched tightly over the bowl.  I will admit that it took a few tries.  It doesn't go on as easily as the it did for the woman on QVC who was the company representative.  I'm certain she has put this stuff on so many different containers that she could do it in her sleep.  And I am certain that after I become more familiar with how to use it, covering anything will be simple.  I can tell you this - it was not floating here and there and clinging to itself and not clinging to the bowl and all of that nonsense I used to go through with regular cling wrap.  I think the key is not to be afraid to stretch it.  Just grab it and stretch it over the bowl.  It will cling.  The cantaloupe was in this bowl and in the refrigerator for many days and it stayed as fresh as the day I covered it.

So, what is my opinion.  Get yourself some Stretch and Fresh and throw out the regular cling wrap.  This package came with 2- large, 4- medium and 2- small cling mats.  That will do adequately for me.  And I think it would for most households.  If you entertain often for large crowds you might need two packages.  If you are in the business of catering you may need two packages.  Give it a try.  I'm glad I did.


No comments: