Monday, February 24, 2014

Toll House Cookies Anyone

We made them.  And they turned out perfectly.  I did two cookie sheets in the oven at once at 375 degrees for 10 minutes.  Absolute perfection.


Everything was at room temperature, as we discussed on Saturday evening.  Having all the ingredients pre-measured and pre-mixed made this project much easier.  We got everything incorporated in the bowl.  This was the perfect cookie dough.


Next came the job of preparing the cookie sheets and getting the dough in place.  I used two cookie sheets, each lined with a single layer of parchment paper.  Nine cookies per sheet.  Now here's how I do it.  I measure the dough for each cookie by hand.  I've tried using spoons and ice cream scoops and tablespoon measures and rolling them into similar sized balls and rolling out the dough and then cutting them into squares - I've tried it all and nothing works like using my fingers to collect the dough and place it on sheet.  I can judge exactly how much dough I have in my hand.  It's messy to do it this way, but I prefer it to all the other ways I've tried.


And look how beautiful these turned out.


Gorgeous.  And so delicious.  I let them cool on the cookie sheets for about two minutes and then transferred them to this cooling rack.  Just like mom used to make.  Some recipes call for nuts, but I do not add nuts.  I think the nuts take away from the true delicious flavor of this old standard chocolate chip cookie. Plus I think I have acquired a bit of an allergy to nuts.  I don't know if that is possible - to not have an allergy to nuts and then get one - but I've had a few times lately when I ate nuts that I had some swelling around my mouth.  So I'm staying away from nuts.


Again, the plastic soup containers from Beijing Palace come in handy to stored cookies.  I'll give you the recipe.

Toll House Cookies
2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup (sticks) butter or margarine, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 (11.5 oz. package) Chocolate Morsels

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Combine flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl.  Beat butter until creamy.  Beat in granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Gradually beat in flour mixture.  Stir in morsels.  Drop onto parchment lined baking sheets.

Bake for 9 - 11 minutes or until golden brown.  Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes.  Remove to wire racks to cool completely.

And there you have it.  Delicious Toll House cookies.  I had dough left over, so I placed it in a Ziploc bag and put it into the refrigerator.  I'll finish up with another couple batches as the week progresses.

No comments: