Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Seafood Salad a la Crest Avenue

I have a seafood salad recipe I would like to share with you today.  Generally, most of these "sandwich" style salads, be they chicken salad, tuna salad, or seafood salad, all contain pretty much the same ingredients. The base is usually mayonnaise and then there are several other ingredients added for flavor. My seafood salad recipe came about from years of experimenting with the basis recipe until I got it just right for me.  I find it delicious and just the right combination of ingredients.  I hope you will agree and that you and your family will enjoy it as much as I do.

A very pretty salad.  You could add a sprig of parley or even a small sliver of lemon rind for decoration.  For purposes of this post, I did not add any decoration because I thought it was beautiful enough left plain.
So here is the recipe:

Crest Avenue Seafood Salad

1/2 cup mayonnaise (do not use salad dressing)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon Creamy Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
2 cups cut-up, cooked crabmeat (can be canned, fresh cooked or imitation)
2 medium stalks celery, diced finely
1 spring onion, thinly sliced, including part of the green, but not all.

Mix mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice, salt and pepper; toss with crab, celery and green onion.  Cover and refrigerate at least 3 hours.  Serve on toast points or cracker of your choice.  If using for sandwiches, makes four 3/4 cup servings.  Recipe doubles easily.

_________________________________________________________________________________

If you want to serve on a tray for company, place in a decorative bowl and put out with these wonderful Stoned Wheat Thins.  Oh my, this is a delicious combination.


For the salad pictured above, I used Louis Kemp Crab Delights.


I used about three-quarters Chesapeake Bay Flake Style.


And one-quarter Chunk Style.  But as I stated in the recipe, you can use any style crabmeat you like as long as it has been cooked.  Or you could use shrimp in the same amount in place of the crab.  Lobster would be nice.  Any shellfish could be used in this recipe and it would be delicious.  Also, if you want to use the Louis Kemp like I did and you cannot find or choose not to use the Chesapeake Bay Flake Style, the regular chunk style or flake style will work just fine.

No comments: