Monday, March 10, 2014

Willow In a Basket

I worked in the hallway over the weekend.  I put sticky backing on an area rug that kept sliding all over the place.  I vacuumed, then scrubbed, then waxed the hardwood floors in there.  After I was done with all of that, I decided to do something with this little bit of wall at the end of the hallway near the entrance to the dining room.

Previously, I had these willow sticks in a large glass vase that was about 12 inches in diameter at the top and tapered down to about 10 inches in diameter at the base.  This never really worked for me because the glass vase was too large for this area.  It protruded into the room and it looked like an afterthought.


This rattan basket works perfectly.  It is narrow enough so that it does not protrude beyond this tiny bit of wall.  I had enough willow to fill the basket nicely.


Once in place, I took a pair of small loppers and trimmed the willow to a height which brought them just under the mirror.  Originally they extended well above the mirror.  I liked this look with them neatly trimmed and not obscuring the mirror.

This is a nice idea to bring a little flare to an otherwise plain and boring corner.

No comments: