Tuesday, March 11, 2014

A Slippery Rug No More

Today we are going to talk about hardwood floors and area rugs.  Personally, I prefer area rugs over wall-to-wall carpet.  I'm not going to knock wall-to-wall carpet because that would be unfair.  I am not going to suggest that one is better than the other.  It is a matter of personal taste. I like the look of hardwood.  If it is kept clean and properly cared for, I think it is just beautiful.  I had two rugs specially cut and bound on all sides to fit my bedroom and the tv room.  It is nice to have the softness underfoot in these rooms and the rugs add coziness to the space as well.

I have a small rug that I placed in the hallway in front of the bathroom door.  It looked very nice, but it slid all over the place.


As you can see in this picture, it is underneath the linen closet door, ... again!!


So I bought one of those waffly type mats and cut it to fit and placed it under the rug in an effort to stop the slipping and sliding.  A waste of time and money.


I decided we needed to go heavy duty.  So I purchased this roll of rug gripper from Mohawk.  Mohawk is a reputable name in carpeting.  They have been in business for many years.


Here we are with the rug turned upside down.  We cut three strips of carpet gripper just a little under the length of the rug and pressed it firmly to the underside.


This pictures shows the lengths of carpet gripper extending to just before the end of the rug on the opposite side.

So, our carpet gripper was in place.  It was time to set about cleaning the floor.


First things first.  We vacuumed the floor thoroughly.


Then we scrubbed the floor with the Shark Sonic Duo.  I just love this floor cleaner.  It is the best floor cleaner I have ever had.  A little pricey but well worth.


The next step after cleaning the floor and waiting for it to dry completely was to apply a coat of Johnson Paste Wax.  I'm going to share some valuable information with you here.  If you want your hardwood to have a beautiful, lustrous, long-lasting shine, the only way to get that is with Johnson Paste Wax.  I have used many, MANY products trying to get the shine you get with Johnson Paste Wax and I have never been able to get the same result.  I know it's time consuming to apply.  Down on the floor on your hands and knees; not fun.  But in the end, it is so worth it.


The instructions on the paste wax can say to wait 20 - 30 minutes for the wax to dry.  I probably put on a little heavier coat that what it called for, so I waited for an hour for it to completely dry.  Then I used the Shark Sonic Duo with the lambswool pads to buff it to a high luster finish.  Isn't that beautiful.


And I put the rug down with the rug gripper strips on the back.  It has not moved at all since.

So we covered two things.  Mohawk rug gripper is a wonderful product for holding small area rugs in place. And Johnson Paste Wax is the only choice for a bright and lustrous finish on your hardwood floors.

No comments: