Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Tomatoes, Sedum and Banana Trees - Spring Efflorescence at Crest Avenue

So much going on at this time of year.  I have to say that I like living in a region of the country where I get to experience all four seasons of the year.  In the mid-atlantic we have a very definite division between spring, summer, fall and winter.

I picked up tomato plants.


The plant on the right is a standard heirloom tomato.  The plant on the left is a black heirloom tomato.  This is my first attempt at growing the black heirloom tomato.  I understand from doing some research that the black heirloom tomato has a very intense flavor.  The sight of these tomatoes in somewhat off-putting for those of us who recognize tomatoes as bright red or yellow or orange.  I am anxious to try one.

The next thing I picked up was three flats of sedum groundcover.


I was fortunate to find these very healthy looking specimens on a sale rack, so I bought three of them.  Each flat has ten pots, so thirty plants altogether.  Sedum is a wonderful ground cover.  Some is cold hardy and some is heat tolerant, and some flourish in any climate.  Make sure to check which species you are buying so that you will not be disappointed.  I am a big fan of groundcover plantings.  There are some beautiful varieties.  I think they look especially nice in the lawn and garden if kept well trimmed.  I also like them because they do just what they are designed to do - cover the ground.  That means less time mowing and tending to a traditional lawn, which can be a time consuming and costly endeavor.  Once your groundcover is established all it takes is some occasional trimming and fertlizing and you are set.

Finally, we had quite a surprise the other day.


The banana tree is springing to life.  The banana tree was an experiment I tried probably three years ago.  I was at a local, independently owned nursery and they had banana trees on sale for some ridiculously low price.  So I bought one and planted it in one of the front gardens and it thrived.  Now, three years later, it continues to thrive.  I do not lift the corm in the winter months.  It is buried deep and there is a good thick layer of mulch over top.  I usually sit a large planter over top of it after the foilage and stalk die back in the winter which I think helps keep it from freezing.  I do not turn the planter over.  I sit the planter on the ground on the bottom just like you would if you were going to plant something in it.  No need capturing all that cold winter air in the open part of the planter and concentrating that over top of the corm.

So there is a quick update on the grounds at Crest Avenue.  I was up early this morning and cutting tile for the backsplash in the kitchen.  This project is on schedule to be completed by the end of the week.  It is looking really nice.  I will have before and after pictures for you early next week.

No comments: