Monday, April 1, 2013

My Easter Contribution

We celebrated Easter yesterday with a brunch and our friend Lea.  The menu changed a bit.  Our pre-brunch consisted of caviar on whole grain baguette and a wonderful melon wrapped with prosciutto and Bloody Mary's.  Lea brought the caviar and the melon and prosciutto.  We provided the Bloody Mary fixings.  For the main course we had asparagus frittata and freshly made popovers with butter and sugar-free strawberry jam.  The plan was to also make waffles served with fresh raspberries sweetened with Splenda and whipped cream.  But we were all three so stuffed from the previous fare that we decided to forego the waffles.

I hard boiled and dyed eggs in chartruese and magenta.


My original plan was to make a cherry cheesecake.  We ran out to Wegman's on Saturday afternoon and there I found a sugar-free key lime pie.  I thought this would be better for all of us that my cherry cheesecake.


The pie and the eggs were my contribution to the brunch.  I was up early yesterday morning, working in the garden.  I planted 20 caladiums and 3 black elephant ears.  I also cut back and replanted two miscanthus grasses.  Unfortunately on my walk around the back yard, I found that the redbud tree I planted last year did not make it.  So I dug that out.  The good news is that the ornamental pear did make it and is full with bloom.  I cannot wait to see that in about a week or two.

This week we will be cleaning out the purple martin house in anticipation for their return.  We will be addressing the winter burn on the boxwoods.  We have some arborvitae issues to take care of.  And we will check on the table of bulbs that we planted in the fall.  There is also finishing touches to the kitchen renovation and finding the perfect location for the new greenhouse.  These are busy weeks ahead and there will be lots to share.

No comments: