Monday, April 22, 2013

I Moved Some Things Around Over the Weekend

I am constantly changing things around at Crest Avenue.  Well, not everything, but I always am looking at things both inside and out and if I think we will get a better look if we move something from here to there, I do it.  If I like it, I keep it.  If not, I put it back as it was and move on.  This weekend was one of those weekends.  We have been watching the bulb table on the deck as it has blossomed over these past few weeks.  As I mentioned last week, some of the small pots did not bloom.  It is hard to say why this happens.  It could have been a bad bulb.  You just don't know, so you make adjustments.

First of all, the parrot tulips bloomed over the weekend.



I just love this tulip.  The way the petals are fringed on the edges I think is just beautiful.  Of all the tulips I planted in the fall, these are the ones which are the most showy.  Just spectacular.

As I mentioned earlier, not all of the pots on this table bloomed, so I removed the non-bloomers.  When I removed the non-bloomers, the table looked a little sparse.  So I decided to move all the pots of tulips together into one location on the front porch.


This is the arrangement as it ended up once I consolidated all of the tulip pots on the corner of the front porch.  With the Maidenhair fern in the middle, just a stellar look.  It looks like a huge arrangement of tulips you would place on your entry table.


After I moved the tulip pots, I scrubbed the top of the bulb table.  It was quite a mess.  I found this Smith & Hawkin boxwood wreath that I bought from Target earlier this spring.  I decided it would look nice on the table with the pot of recently planted freesia in the center.  I think that is a very nice look.  Simple, easy on the eye and can be removed quickly and easily when entertaining.  If you are just serving cocktails, I would leave the centerpiece.  If you decided to put out a cheese and cracker board with cocktails and/or wine, I would remove the centerpiece and place the hors d'oeuvrves in the center so that everyone would have easy access.  You could do an assortment of cheeses and crackers and champagne grapes and that would make for a lovely cocktail hour.


A closer look at the freesia pot and you can see little green sprouts starting to shoot upward.  I hope this pot fills out nicely.  I planted as many bulbs as I could fit - some even on top of others because I wanted a full display.  I expect this to be very pretty once it is in full bloom.  We will revisit over the coming weeks.

No comments: