Monday, June 24, 2013

A Change to the Mantel

The weekend was productive, mostly inside.  The temperature started to increase over the weekend and the humidity returned.  I spent no time in the yard or gardens.  I opted to work inside and, I must say, I got quite a lot done.

One of the first things I got done, and one of the most important, was to get the red wine off one of the tub chairs and the carpet and the floor and the wall in the tv room.  You see, I got up during the night to get a drink of water from the refrigerator.  As I was making my way back to the bedroom, I tripped over the Brookstone foot massager, which I had used earlier in the day, and my hand hit a glass which still contained some red wine from the evening, and it went all over the place.  Actually, I just stood there for awhile.  Stunned.  In stunned disbelief.  So, at two a.m., I was using dry cleaner solution on the chair and Dr. Somebody's spray on the area rug and a bottle of wood floor cleaner on the floor and a soapy washcloth to wipe down the wall.  Oh, and the hvac vent.  Naturally it got on that too.  Luckily, if you didn't know it happened you wouldn't know it happened.  Every solution I used did what it was supposed to do.  So, it just proves that it is good to be prepared.  You may think you will never need things like dry cleaning solution or special sprays to spot clean the carpet.  But eventually, we all knock over a glass of red wine at two a.m.

So, we moved on.  I decided to change the look of the mantel.  We went from this.


To this.



I love the clock.  And I love the Irving Penn.  But I thought it was time for a change on the mantel, so I moved the Irving Penn to the mantel and relocated the clock.  A nice change.  Sometimes you just need to make a change.  It doesn't have to be anything big.  Just moving some artwork.  A new lampshade.  Perhaps some fresh covers on the sofa pillows that are more summer-like.  I have done all of these recently and it helps to keep things fresh.

1 comment:

John Newman said...

A big thank you again to my sister. I talked to her on the phone last night. She and my nephew had fun at camp last week. Believe me, as hot as it is today and will be THIS week, I'm certain she is happy that camp was last week. We do not fare well in our family without air conditioning.