Monday, October 15, 2012

We had an "Eggy" Weekend

What do you do when you find that you have somehow ended up with two dozen eggs that you do not know what to do with.  I think when I was preparing for Bev's birthday visit a few weeks ago I ended up buying eggs every time I went to the market thinking that I was going to need eggs for whatever I was making for the weekend.  As it turned out, I ended up with two dozen eggs in the refrigerator and not an event on the calendar for which I could use them.  I didn't want them to go unused, so I decided to make deviled eggs and a Quiche with Goat Cheese and Hash Brown crust.


So, I started with a dozen eggs, which makes 24 deviled eggs.  But that's not a problem with my crowd.  A couple plates of deviled eggs can quickly disappear.  So I started by making the egg filling.  In the glass bowl you have mayonnaise, half & half, salt, white pepper, dry mustard all whisked together.  I do what is called a "20 minute" egg when I hard boil eggs.  Submerge the eggs in cold water in a boiling pot and quickly bring to a rolling boil.  Remove from heat and cover.  Let sit for 20 minutes, then drain and rinse under cold water.  I fill the boiling pot with cold tap waer and add ice cubes to stop the cooking.  Run under cold tap water, crack and peel the eggs.  Slice each egg in half, adding the hard cooked yolks to the egg filling mixture started earlier.  Whisk together until smooth.  I use the whisk attachment on a hand-held mixer to get the consistency just right.  If it seems a little dry, add a splash or tow more of half & half.

 
I then refrigerate the filling and the hard-cooked whites until just before time to serve.  You will see that I wrap the cooked whites with waxed paper.  I have given up on cling wrap.  I positively cannot stand it.  I drives me crazy and I refuse to have it in my kitchen.  Waxed paper does a fine job of keep these fresh until time to serve.


Then remove the plate from the refrigerator and unwrap.  Stire the filling to further incorporate it.  I then placed the filling in a disposable Wilton Decorating Bag, cut the tip off and filled each egg.


A small dollop of ricotta cheese and a sprig of saffron, and you have a lovely, and tasty tray of deviled eggs that any host or hostess would be proud to place on their buffet table.


And here is the finished tray with someone not wanting to wait for the pictures to be taken for the blogpost.  I would say that looks like Mr. Bob reaching for one of these delectable delights.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love your comment about cling wrap--I can't stand it either! It has no place in my kitchen either, can't deal with it, especially when there's usually a ceiling fan going.

At Home with John Newman said...

I'm sure we are not the only ones who feel like that.