Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Time to Bring in the Plants for Winter

Believe it or not, we had snowflakes in far western Maryland this morning.  Nothing big.  No accumulation. But it is a sign that winter is fast approaching.  And with that comes the need to bring in your tender plants which will not make it through the winter outdoors.  I spent some time doing this over the weekend.  I have everything in except the ferns.  I am hoping to get the greenhouse put together so I can put those in there before frost comes.

Here are some pictures of what I got done with the other plants in the landscape that need a warm place for the winter.




I am lucky at Crest Avenue that the area above my refrigerator is open.  This is the perfect spot for delicate plants to spend the winter.  Heat rises, so it will be nice and warm up here.  They will get plenty of indirect light through the sliding glass door and the window over the sink.




Of course, it is necessary to get them in trays so they can be watered.  These are plastic trays that I got from Lowe's and then filled with pea gravel.  This works better than clay trays.  The plastic will not absorb the water like a clay tray.  These trays also hold a good amount of water thereby providing better humidity to the plants.  They can also be used year after year and there is no danger of them breaking if dropped.  I will water different plants, different ways.




These agaves will be watered from the bottom.  That is, I will fill the tray filled with pea gravel with water which will provide humidity.  These tropicals do not like a lot of water on their roots.  They will take up some of the water through the drainage hole in the bottom of the pot.  Between that and the humidity from the standing water, they should be fine.  The peace lilies in the blue pots behind the agaves will be watered from the top.  The water will make its way through the soil and into the pea gravel tray where it will also add humidity around the plants.  For good measure I will introduce a Gro-Light to this grouping to make sure they are getting enough light during the darker months of winter.

Tomorrow I will show you two more plants that have been brought inside.  You will be amazed at how much they have grown and you will see that we need to repot them in larger pots.

No comments: