Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Eggies? You Decide.

Do you remember when they were running the late night commercials for a product called "Eggies?"  I don't see them anymore.  I guess it is like a lot of these "As Seen on TV" products.  They run for awhile and then, POOF, they are gone.  When was the last time you saw a commercial for Ginsu Knives or a Veg-O-Matic? For those of you who remember the Veg-O-Matic, here is a picture of the original from Ronco.



These were fun.  I had one.  I wonder what happened to it.  Oh well.  I have something much fancier today called a "mandolin" which I sometimes use to do my dicing and slicing.  It is a fancy Veg-O-Matic.  But I digress.

We bought the Eggies some time ago.  They made their way into a box and were tucked away in a corner.  I recently found them and decided it was time to see what these funny looking contraptions called Eggies were all about.

First of all, here is the promotion that was going when these were being advertised.



Sounded good.  I have a hard time peeling hard boiled eggs sometimes when I make deviled eggs. That usually comes from using eggs that are too fresh.  But I like fresh eggs, so I thought Eggies would be the way to go.  Well, maybe.  Maybe not.




I got the instructions, gave them a read and then set out to make hard boiled eggs with Eggies cups.




Here are our six Eggies cups.  You get six cups in the box.  Normally six eggs will get you 12 deviled eggs. Not so with Eggies.  Six eggs will get you six oddly shaped deviled eggs.  Please continue.




The instructions say to separate the top and bottom of each cup and coat each with non-stick cooking spray. They suggest spraying it on a paper towel and wiping each cup rather than spraying it directly in each side. OK.




We have applied non-stick cooking spray to both sides of the cup and they have been secured together with the connecting ring.  The little tops on each cup have been removed so that the eggs can be broken and "dropped" into each cup.




Like so.  This is surprisingly easy.  These openings in the top of each cup are small, so I could envision eggs going all over the place when I attempted this, but that did not happen.  "Kerplunk!"  I added a little salt to each cup before securing the tops.




This ad from the campaign shows the two halves separated and the egg being placed into the cup with the securing ring in place.  This would never work.  The content of the egg would come up higher than the bottom half of the cup and it makes no sense to do this with the securing ring screwed in place and the top half of the cup sitting to the side.  The right side of this picture shows the eggs being cooked in what appears to be a frying pan which also would never work.  The cups need to float, so you need a deep vessel, such as a dutch oven and plenty of water so they have room to float.  This whole advertisement is contrary to how this process works.  And the fingernails!  I did not have a french manicure before I made hard boiled eggs in my Eggies cups.




Here we are, cups in water.  You are to fill the pot with warm tap water.  Drop in the cups and rapidly bring the water to a rolling boil.  Once achieved, turn the heat down to a gentle boil and boil between 17 - 19 minutes depending on whether you are using large or extra large eggs.




I covered the pot with the lid to bring the water to a boil fast.




You see here that the cups are floating and the water is gently boiling.  You also see that some of the content of the cups has seeped through the securing ring and spilled into the water.  I didn't really like that.  But we continued.




Finally, after cooking for 18 minutes and then being cooled in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes, I removed the securing ring and released the cooked eggs.  Wiping the cooking spray inside the cup worked perfectly.  They came out with little effort.  And they were thoroughly cooked.  But they are very odd looking.  They are flat on one end.  The instructions tell you how you can make deviled eggs out of them, but it is very strange.  They would never fit in any of my deviled egg trays.  So I would not use Eggies if I was making deviled eggs.

Like I said, they were cooked thoroughly.  They tasted fine.  Just like any hard cooked egg.  And I was not standing over a sink cussing a blue streak because I could not remove the shells, which has happened many times in the past.  They would be fine to eat alone or to slice in a salad or to make egg salad. You could also serve them on a plate with a couple strips of bacon and some hollandaise sauce.  That would be divine.  So what do I say about Eggies.  I will keep them.  And I will use them when hard cooking eggs for the things mentioned above.  But for good old deviled eggs, I will stick to the tried and true 20-minute egg and hope that the shells remove with ease.




No comments: