Thursday, October 10, 2013

Swabbing the Deck, Matey!

This spring and summer has seen much less entertaining at Crest Avenue.  Circumstances have precluded us from even a modest season of guests.  Most of the entertaining done at Crest Avenue during the spring and summer is done outdoors on the deck and patio. The large bamboo grove along the deck provides ample shade and privacy.  So it is nice to sit out there and have cocktails with guests.

I decided it was time to empty the deck and take a good look to see if we needed to do any maintenance.  I would say that we could do with a power wash and then a coat of Deck Seal.  Here are some pictures of the clean up.




This snake plant has loved being out on the deck this summer.  It has almost outgrown the pot.  I will bring it in for the winter and definitely re-pot it in the spring.  The mums look very happy also.  I just put those in about a week ago.




You see the trees are just beginning to drop a few leaves.  I have moved this glass top table off the deck.  It is too large for the space.  I am now using it as a place to do my plantings.  The chairs have been brought inside and stored in the basement for the winter.




Here we are with a nice clean deck.  We've got some mold issues that need attention.  We should have a couple warm weekends before the cold weather arrives.  I would like to get this power washed before winter.



Baxter is inspecting my cleaning job and making sure everything is structurally sound.  He wants to make sure I am keeping up with maintenance on his home.




And the fireplace is holding up well.  This has been up for a few years now.  It's nice to light this in the fall and sit outside with a glass of wine.  I know it looks like it is a little too high on the wall, but once you get a table and chairs set up, it is the perfect height.  I have a new table and chair set for this space so stay tuned for pictures of that.

No comments: