Friday, October 4, 2013

An Organized Garden Shed

As promised, here are the after pictures of the garden shed clean out and reorganization.



This is the right side as you enter.  These tools were already up on the pegboard.  You just couldn't really see that for all of the stuff piled around them.




And on the left as you enter.  The wobbly shelving has been removed and the right size pegboard hooks have been installed.  This now holds the garden tools that were in the unstable plastic holder that was inside the door and to the left.  I was also able to hang the Garden Groom Hedge Trimmer, which was a plus.  I didn't know if I would have room for that.




On the left as you enter, you see the portable generator and the propane tank which provides combustion to the generator.  The black bucket with the green, screw-on top is a cement mixer.  You dump in your bag of cement mix, add water and then roll this all over the yard to mix it up.  Then you pour out what you need for your project.  Clean up with water from the garden hose.  A neat invention.




And on the right as you enter, you see the blue buckets with play sand, paver sand and organic hummus.  In the corner is the mantis rototiller.  You see that it is full of dried mud.  I used it to begin leveling the ground for the greenhouse and the ground was so wet it clogged with mud.  So I let it dry and I will use the garden hose to clean it off and we'll try again.




Along the back wall, I removed the bakers rack and the plastic bins.  The bakers rack was donated to Goodwill.  The plastic bins were moved back to the basement.  That was where they were originally intended to be used.  These three shelving units were in the basement and were not being used.  They are from IKEA.  But they were purchased some time ago, so I do not know if you can still buy them.  They fit perfectly in this space.  They were a perfect solution to fix the overcrowding in my garden shed.  Everything is where it should be.  Everything can be reached with great ease.




You will see at the top of the center shelving unit on both sides there is a black band of some sort that wraps around the top of the adjoining shelving unit.  That is a length of this Industrial Strength Velcro.  It worked perfectly to hold the units together tightly.  It helps to add stability.




I put up a fresh No-Pest Strip.  I keep one of these in the shed at all times.  I don't like walking in and finding spiders or anything creeping around.  I don't care if the creepy crawler will harm me or not.  Go find a home somewhere else.




I wanted to show you a picture with the lawnmower inside the shed also.  There is still plenty of room to move around.  If I find that it is in the way, I can simply roll it out and go on about my business.




Finally, the floor.  I am not happy with the current condition of the floor.  I found this product called "Skid-Not."  I want to apply this to the floor for a couple of reasons.  First, it will improve the look of the interior of the shed.  Secondly, it will serve as a layer of waterproofing since there are times, during heavy rains, that water gets inside.  Of course, the fact that it puts down a non-skid surface is also desirable.  No falls in the shed, please.



So, there you have it.  We started with a unclean and disorganized shed and in a couple weeks we turned it into a clean and organized shed.  I tossed a lot of the things you saw in the before pictures.  For example, the brown seat cushions were thrown out because the settee to which they belonged had been taken to the landfill earlier this year.  As I said yesterday, once you start this project and start going through your "Don't Know Yet" pile, you will find things that you have not used in a long time or that are broken or that you have more than one of.  Now we go into fall fully prepared for planting and clean up.
Post a Comment