Friday, October 18, 2013

TJMaxx and Home Goods Opens in Georgetown

To my complete surprise on Tuesday, I stumbled upon the new TJMaxx and HomeGoods store which just opened in the old Georgetown Park Mall on M Street, NW.




This wonderful old building was once a tobacco storage warehouse.




A look inside the window from M Street, NW.  I couldn't wait to get inside and check it out.




Just inside the door and headed for the escalator to the shopping.




And what to my wandering eyes should appear, . . .





But a store filled with goodies that I'll be in all year!!!




And it just went on,




And on,




And on.  I really liked these two prints.  The larger being a stretched canvas and the other an oil painting.  I didn't have the car with me, so I had to leave without purchasing either of these.  I will plan on returning after making a trip to Goodwill with a cleaned out trunk and my checkbook.


*                    *                    *

A little history of the original Georgetown Park Mall.

The first phase of the Georgetown Park Mall was opened in 1981.




Above is a picture of the mall during its heyday during one of many Christmas seasons.  The mall gradually went through a period of decline and was closed in 2011 for renovation.




The main entrance to the mall is still closed to visitors while construction on new retail space continues. Sources tell me that we are in for a DSW and a Target.  Maybe a Target GreatLand.  Time will tell.  Both of those stores would work just perfectly, thank you very much.




Signs posted on the old entrance instruct patrons that there is no garage access through the old mall space. The renovation of the garage was one of the first projects completed.

Georgetown Park Mall was initially touted as space for the high-end retailer.  Stores such as Garfinckel's, Ann Taylor, and Scan Furniture occupied space in the original mall. There was also a Conran's Home Goods store, which I loved.  It was enormous and had anything and everything you could ever want or need.  But, times change.  What the public wants and needs in 2013 is a good deal different from what they wanted and needed in 1981.  The world we live in today is very different from the world we lived in back then. Some things are better, some things not so much.  I am elated to have TJMaxx and HomeGoods as a new shopping venue in Georgetown.  I think they will do well in this location.







No comments: