Tuesday, May 20, 2014

And Finally, the Birthday Cake

The birthday cake for Steven this year was made by Bette.  She is a baker "extraordinaire."  When it comes to baking, Bette puts me to shame.  I am good in the kitchen in a number of ways, but baking is not my strong point.  It never has been.  Flour seems not to agree with me.  I can never get it to do what I want it to do and it always seems to end up all over the place.  Ugh!  So, when Bob said that Bette would like to make the cake, I took her up on that offer.  And, as usual, it turned out beautiful.


This was a Southern Living recipe.  A Strawberry cake.  Not only was it delightful to look at, it was delicious beyond words.  Bette did a wonderful job of decorating the top of the cake with sliced strawberries.  But I had been shopping earlier in the week and found something for the cake which needed to be placed in the center.  So we removed those slices and placed a Magical Birthday Candle in the center.


The Magical Birthday Candle.  I had never heard of this until I was making my way through Shopper's Food Warehouse on Saturday.  I was picking up the last few things I needed for the party and I found this most interesting cake decoration, so I thought we would give it a try.


Strawberries removed from the center and replaced with Magical Birthday Candle.


And one more picture of this candle just prior to being lit.  The instructions said to stand back three to four feet.  That might be overdoing it a bit.  It was just magical.  Everyone was ready with anticipation.  I was there with the video set up on my phone to record the whole thing.  And this is what I got.


And then I got this.


I don't know if it was the excitement of the moment or too many cocktails or just not knowing how to use the video feature on the phone, but clearly I screwed that up.


This is what it looks like when you video these candles before having cocktails.


And here was the cake.  A delicious white cake with strawberry jam and butter-cream frosting.  Positively exquisite.

No comments: