Monday, September 9, 2013

Alpinia Purpurata Pink Ginger (That's Easy for You to Say!)

Quite by accident, I must admit, we added an Alpinia Purpurata Pink Ginger plant to the landscape this weekend.


We were in Home Depot, making our way through the garden section looking for bird seed when we came across these beautiful palms.  Steve Bunce from Our Home Improvements (www.our-home-improvements.com) was actually the first one to see these and brought them to my attention.  Of course, I had to have one.


Look how beautiful the flower is in this majestic palm.  There were three available, but I only got one.  I would like to experiment with it first and see what the needs are for the plant before committing to more than one.  For my regular readers, you know I have had extraordinarily good luck with my banana palm this year and for the past three years.  I am hoping that I will have the same good luck with this palm.  I planted this in a large pot and placed it in the front yard where it will get lots of morning sun and then be in indirect sun in the afternoon.  It will be moved into the greenhouse for the winter.  The directions on the tag that came with the plant do not guarantee a re-emergence after a Mid-Atlantic winter if left in the ground.

These plants originate from the South Pacific.  So keep that in mind if you decide to bring this plant into your landscape, especially far north.  They grow best where the temperature is constantly above 60 degrees F. When the temperature drops below 50 degrees F, they grow very slowly and turn yellowish-green.  Some yellowing of the foliage occurs at high temperatures.  It is shade tolerant but does not thrive in heavy shade. Keep the soil moist.  They will require one inch or more of water per week from irrigation during droughty periods.  The best flower quality comes with generous watering.

So if you are willing to spend a little extra time catering to this beautiful plant it would be a welcome addition to your landscape.

No comments: