Thursday, February 7, 2013

The Mirror Arrived

Last week I hinted about a new mirror I ordered and that there would be an upcoming post when it arrived and was installed.  I knew from the time I saw the mirror exactly where it would be placed.  And that was on this large wall in the tv room.  Below are some pictures of the before and after.


Here we are in the tv room with picture frames evenly lined up along this large wall.  These frames are from IKEA.  I really like the simplicity of them.  And I think they will work in other areas, but they were not working for me here.


I felt they were a little too high on the wall.  But I did not want to bring them down because I thought they would be a nuisance to anyone sitting in these chairs.


This is such a comfortable seating area.  Some years ago I have a similar set of frames hanging on this wall that were larger and they came down closer to the backs of the chairs.  At a rather festive gathering one evening, a guest was telling a lively story and being very animated in the recitation of the story.  At one point he threw both hands up as part of the telling and hit the frame behind him and down it came.  While that was a highlight of that party, I would rather not repeat it.



Another view of the wall with the four frames in place.


And a view inside the room from the hallway.  You will note that I had not removed the frame description sheets and placed any artwork inside.  I knew from the beginning that these were not working and that I would replace them with something else.

And then one day a couple of weeks ago, I found exactly what I was looking for.



The IKEA frames are gone and we now have this enormous, spired mirror in their place.


While the spires on this mirror are very close to the top of the chair, the hook that holds the mirror on the wall is designed so that, no matter how animated the story, this will not fall off the wall.  I used a "bulldog" screw in the wall.  The mounting bracket slides over the screw and then slides down and locks in place.  Maybe the designer of the mirror, too, holds animated cocktail parties and has experienced similar incidents as I.

So there you are.  This is a much better look on this wall.  The IKEA frames have been stored for future use and each of you will be the first to know where they end up.






No comments: