Friday, February 1, 2013

A Walk Around the Property (cont'd.)

When I told you yesterday that we would have some unpleasant pictures of the privacy hedge which we started last year, I had no idea that those pictures would have snow in them.  But, alas, they do.  Yes, we got a dusting of snow this morning which was beautiful to watch.  No accumulation and, as I write, it is beautifully sunny outside, albeit extremely cold and windy.

So, . . . the privacy hedge along the front yard at the sidewalk - not working for me.


The idea was, is, to have a double hedge with taller boxwood in the back and boxwood cut shorter in the front.


Then, somewhere along the way, I decided that I would remove the boxwood in the front and replace it with existing holly from the back yard.



You can barely see the holly in this picture because it it covered with snow.  But, believe me, it's there.  This was not a good idea.


These are good, hardy boxwoods which have taken well in the soil.  But I want to "up my game" on this project.  I want to remove these and plant them elsewhere in the gardens.  I will replace them with the same type of boxwood but more mature plants.  That way the hedge will take shape more quickly than waiting for these smaller varieties to reach maturity.  And the holly can be returned to its home along the bamboo.  So this has been added to the list of "most important projects" for early in the spring.  I want to get the new plants in the ground and happy and growing as soon as possible in the season.  We will follow up on this in a few weeks.

No comments: