Thursday, February 28, 2013

Spring is Right Around the Corner

You will remember a couple months ago we talked about bulb planting and I shared with you that I planted numerous flowering bulbs in a variety of pots and left them on the dining table on the deck.  (See "A Table Full of Spring Bulbs" posted on 1/10/2013).  Well, we are now seeing the results of that planting .  I was amazed at how much of the bulbs have begun to make their way through the soil.  This little pot is the most hearty of them all.




Here, another pot is releasing a tulip or daffodil.  I'm not sure which.  I planted a melange of bulbs of different types in different colors.  I did not label each pot with what was planted because I enjoy the mystery of not knowing what will emerge.
 


This poor pink pot has not survived the few really cold days we've had.  I was disheartened to see this but not defeated.  It will take some careful attention, but this planting can be moved to a new clay pot.  We will save the remnants of the pink pot and break them into smaller pieces to be used over the drainage hole in the bottom of other planters.



I hope you had a chance to get some bulbs planted in the fall, whether in pots or in the earth.  They bring beautiful color and, in some instances, fragrance to beautiful spring days. 

No comments: