Wednesday, December 26, 2012

A Wintry Mix

This morning when I first turned on the news at 6:30, the weather guy said that it was snowing to the south and west of us.  He went on to say that it would continue to snow and that around 8:00 AM we would start to see the snow in the greater metropolitan area, meaning downtown DC and in the eastern suburbs where Crest Avenue is located.  There were no winter weather advisories for the DC or the eastern suburbs.  Only for points west of the city in Northern Virginia and far western Maryland.  We would get rain and in the afternoon it would be sunny.  Uh, . . . not happening.  I decided to drive to the office this morning because I thought the weather would clear up.  Shortly after arriving, I got this:

National Weather Service issued a Winter Weather Advisory for the Metropolitan Area (including District of Columbia), until 1:00 PM; expecting a wintry mix of snow, sleet and freezing rain.

I thought, OK, I can deal with that.  It will all be over by 1:00 so by the time I leave everything should be OK.

About a half hour ago I got this:

National Weather Service extended the Winter Weather Advisory until 7:00 PM; for the the Metropolitan Area (including District of Columbia).
So, we have gone from no Winter Weather Advisory for the Washington, DC and eastern suburbs to a Winter Weather Advisory through 7:00 PM.  It is not pretty outside.  See below.



Right now we have rain with some ice mixed in.  You can see there is already some ice accumulated on the awnings and grassy areas.  My concern is that as all of this continues to fall and the temperature drops as we make our way through the day, we are going to be in for a slippery ride a little later on.  Yucky.

No comments: