Monday, August 4, 2014

What's For Lunch?

A delicious three ingredient salad.  I think sometimes salad preparation can get a little out of hand.  A little of this and a little of that and little more of something else and the next thing you know you've got too much of everything.  Of course, this is not always the case.  Sometimes I want a really hearty salad.  One of my all time favorite hearty salads is the Cobb Salad.  Very delicious and very filling.  The best place to go for a Cobb Salad in D.C. is Chadwick's on K Street in Georgetown.  Absolutely supreme.  But for lunch this week, I decided on a simpler, three ingredient summer salad.


In this container we have a bed of iceberg lettuce, two smallish chicken breasts, grilled and chopped, and one large tomato.


Oops!  We need to change the description on this salad to a "four" ingredient summer salad.  We had part of a block of Asiago cheese left over from the spaghetti casserole we made last week.  A little bit of that shredded on top was a perfect final touch.  You do not need a lot of Asiago.  It is a very robust cheese.  It is similar to Parmesan but more intense in flavor.


A plastic lid covers the container and into the refrigerator until time to prepare the lunch containers.


And here is today's serving.  I will dress it with Ranch dressing and a little salt and pepper.  A nice light midday meal during these hot and humid days of summer.  Nothing too heavy.  I think a very cold V8 would help round out this meal.  I like it very, very cold.  I will sit the bottle or can in the freezer for a few minutes just prior to drinking.  I am not a big fan of V8 over ice, but I have done it if I am eating out and the restaurant does not have it cold enough for my taste.

No comments: