Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Sometimes Even We Have Disasters in the Kitchen at WTCA

And so was the case recently when we set out to make Broccoli Soup.  I love broccoli soup.  I even like broccoli soup out of the can.  I have made it before and it was delicious.  But I couldn't find my standard recipe so I found one on the internet, quite by accident.  It was not good.  I'm going to post the pictures because it sounded like it would be fabulous.  I'm even going to give you the step-by-step directions.  But just be forewarned. This ain't your mother's broccoli soup!!

So we started out with all the ingredients.


One pound of chopped broccoli; five cups of chicken stock; one teaspoon of minced garlic; black pepper to taste, one half cup onion; two tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice; and surprisingly, two tablespoons of curry powder.  I thought the recipe was a bit heavy on the curry.  I like curry as much as the next guy, but two tablespoons?  I did not use all of that.


So onto the burner with the chicken stock.


We set the heat to high and put the lid on to help speed up the time to reach the boiling stage.


Then, once we reached the boil, in with the broccoli, onion and garlic.


Lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.  Once done, you are to puree this in the blender or food processor.


In batches, I spooned the content into the Nutribullet and blended until smooth.  The recipe suggests that you add the curry just before processing the mixture in the blender or food processor.  I used a few large pinches, not the entire two tablespoons.


Blend until smooth.


Return the mixture to the pot and add the lemon juice and the black pepper.


With all of the above done, I poured this delicious looking soup into a beautiful glass tureen, crumbled a little raw broccoli in the center as garnish and waited for it to cool to room temperature.  All in great anticipation of sitting down to a delicious bowl of broccoli soup.  When the time was right I grabbed a spoon and gave it a taste.  How do I describe the taste?  Not good.  Horrible.  Awful.  Bad.  Stinky.  Any or all of those words would be appropriate.  For the love of God, don't make this soup.

No comments: