Monday, July 15, 2013

Some Time in the Kitchen

When I began the kitchen renovation, in particular the backsplash installation, I lost the paper towel holder which was affixed to the wall where the backsplash is now.  Since then, the roll of paper towels has set on the counter and has been moved from place to place depending on what I was working on in the kitchen at the time.  During the summer months, I have a fan which sits on the kitchen counter.  This, of course, plays havoc with the paper towels.  I could not take this another day.  So I picked up this handy device.


The Perfect Tear Paper Towel Holder.  I was desperate for some some sort of apparatus which could coral the paper towels.


I wanted less of this.


And more of this.  Isn't that nice and neat.  The roll of paper towels fits securely on this holder.  You simply unscrew the top, slide the roll of paper towels over the holder and screw the top back on.  The large dowel in the center has flexible metal arms attached which hold the roll securely in place.  You simply unwind as many paper towels as you chose and tear them off.  A perfect tear, every time.  This handy item can be had for $18.47 from your local Wal*Mart.

*          *          *

Once I had the paper towel problem under control, it was time for a little breakfast.  I decided poached eggs would be nice.  So I used my microwave egg poacher.

  


You must get one of these.  They are perfect for making one, two or three poached eggs.  I spray inside the white bottom portion with butter flavored Pam.  Place my egg or eggs inside with a little salt and pepper.  Microwave on high for 45 seconds.  Remove from the microwave and turn out onto a small plate.  Slide the egg(s) back in the egg poacher, this time upside down.  Sprinkle the top with your favorite cheese blend and microwave for another 45 seconds.  And what do you get.


Why, the perfect poached eggs.  I used a four cheese blend on mine and that is a slice of julienned pepperoni on top.  Absolute perfection!

Of course, what goes better with a beautiful creation like this, than a glass of bubbly.


How much fun is this.  Pinot Grigio Sparkling Champagne.  I couldn't resist.

We spent some more time in the kitchen this past weekend at Crest Avenue.  We made Chunky Macaroni Salad, a recipe of our own creation.  And we made Spinach & Cheddar Souffle.  Come back for more information on both of those dishes, the preparation process and the recipes under the Food and Recipe tab.

No comments: