Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Cake Decorating

I am always looking for new and inventive products and ideas.  One of my recent finds is this most interesting subscription to Cake Decorating from DeAgostini.  I was intrigued when I first saw this so I thought I would give it a try.

When you sign up, you receive a package in the mail with your starter kit.



This is how your binder arrives, wrapped in tissue paper.  A nice touch.

And here is the binder you will use to store each issue of Cake Decorating.


A nice "Welcome" note.


The binder utilizes these little pins rather than the traditional three-ring binder to hold each issue in place.  You break these off and slide one through the top and bottom of the plastic structure at the top and bottom of the spine and then slip your isues underneath the pins to hold them in place.  Honestly, I'm a little skeptical that this is going to work once the binder is full.  If I find that it does not, I will simply buy a three-ring binder and move each issue to that binder and place tabs between them.  It's not a big deal either way.  I am less concerned with the design or usefulness of the binder and more concerned with the information and knowledge imparted in each issue.


On the inside of each binder cover there is valuable information.  This side gives a Portion Guide and Cake Covering Guide.


Lastly, these are the free gifts you get with your intial order.  Letter Embossers, Piping Bags, Butterfly Cutters.

All in all, I was impressed.  The three issues I received were very informative.  The quality of the products is good.  It appears at first glance to be a well thought out system that will be a real asset to your kitchen.

So, the way it works is you sign up and order your initial starter kit for $19.95 + $7.95 shipping and handling for a total initial investment of $27.90.  Then, for $3.99 per month, you receive 3 additional issues of Cake Decorating which you will add to your binder.  At three months you get a free gift.  Then again at 6 months and again at 9 months.  You also will have the ability to view issues online.  They also have a Facebook page which you can visit to read reviews, which seem very positive.  It's called "Cake Talk on Facebook."  I think it will be fun to experiment with this.  Everybody wants to bring something to the party that is unique and beautiful and with this kit, you can be that star at your next event.  I will share with you some of what I try over the coming weeks and months.  In the meantime, if you are interested, check out their site at www.mycakedecorating.com.  The Facebook page is www.facebook.com/mycakedecousa.  And the Pinterest page is www.pinterest.com/cakedecousa

No comments: