Tuesday, July 9, 2013

One Banana, Two Banana, Three Banana, Four

Or maybe it was one potato, two potato, three potato, four. If you were a child in the 50’s or 60’s you know what I am talking about. But today, we are going to talk about bananas. Specifically, banana trees. I have one banana tree at Crest Avenue. It was a purchase from a local nursery about three years ago. I have had very good luck with it. I keep the area just above and around the corm covered during the winter months with a large planter and with a thick layer of mulch. This evidently protects it enough from our cold winter weather to allow it to re-bloom every year. I took this picture early this spring.




I took these pictures this morning.





It is an amazing plant.  Every day it seems another beautiful banana leaf unfurls.  I want to get more of these but have been concerned about them making it through the winter.  Last week what shows up in my mailbox?  A new catalog of plants from Burgess Seed & Plant Co.  And what do I find on page 12?  Cold Hardy Bananas!  The description states they can be planted in Zones 4 - 10 without needing to be lifted in the fall.  They suggest heavy mulching and, as we know already, that works.  They are product No. N3317; $7.99 each or 2/$14.99.  I will be ordering four.  What a find and a great price!

*          *          *

On another outdoor project, I found the gargoyle!  I ordered this gargoyle shortly after I moved into Crest Avenue.  I never found the perfect place for him, so he was relegated to the basement storage area.  Finally, I decided he should make his presence known on the front of the house.




I particularly like the way it looks like he has crawled up out of the fern planter.  His purpose is to ward off evil spirits and keep us from harm.

There is more garden talk on the way, so make sure and stop by again.

No comments: