Monday, July 22, 2013

A Healthy Dinner

What to have for dinner during these hot days of summer?  A question many of us ask each evening.  Honestly, some days it is so hot and humid that I lose my appetite.  This past Saturday night I could not decide what I wanted for dinner.  Everything I thought of was just not appealing to me.  So I started a search of the refrigerator and pantry and finally put together a nice summer dinner.

I started with an iceberg lettuce wedge.


Just take a head of iceberg lettuce and quarter it.  Place one quarter on a plate and cut off the stem end.  Slice down through the wedge with a sharp knife about 1/2 inch apart.  I dressed this with a cucumber ranch dressing and some bacon bits.


A few minutes later, no more lettuce wedge.  Very, very delicious.


To go with my lettuce wedge, I found a can of tomato soup in the pantry so I added that to the dinner options.  I made the soup on the stove top and then let cool to room temperature.  Some shaved parmesan added just the "oomph" this needed.


And finally, I added a bowl of chopped, fresh tomatoes and a little low fat, olive oil mayonnaise and Himalayan salt.



Himalayan salt is so much better for you that regular table salt.  It promotes blood sugar health, helps regulate the water content in your body, and promotes vascular health.  I got mine at Whole Foods in the spice aisle.

This was a delicious summer dinner.  And even though you may think it would not satisfy your hunger, it does.  I was on the treadmill on Saturday morning and decided to weigh myself once I was done with my 20 minute workout.  I was expecting an "unpleasant" number to appear on the scales.  But I was most happy to find that I have lost 4 pounds since my last visit with my doctor in early May.  Since I am due to see him again next month, let's hope that trend continues.

No comments: