Tuesday, January 15, 2013

The Beekman Boys Goat Topiary

You will recall that I ordered one of the Beekman Boys goat topiaries some weeks ago.  I must tell you these are the cutest things you have ever seen.  The topiary arrived during the Christmas holiday onslaught of packages.  I opened it but set it aside because there wasn't time to tend to putting it together.  Now that Christmas and New Year's is over and all the Christmas decorations are put away for the season, I have time to devote to this and other projects.

The weather was nice over the weekend, so we ventured outside and got this project underway.


The planter is stainless steel and square.  I love the fact that it is square.  It will fit perfectly on the front steps in the spring.

I chose an English Ivy with small leaves (Hedera helix) .  These small leaf varieties are particularly suited to container growing.  If the topiary were larger, I would have chosen a larger leaf variety.  But for this, I think the smaller leaves will look much nicer.

A little goat, leaping out of the planter.  Pretty soon the ivy will completely cover the form.  I cannot wait to see how this is looking by the end of the summer.

And here he is again.

We had some ivy left over, so I planted it in this clay pot with the Rabbit's Foot Fern.  Since we have had such temperate weather this winter, this fern is hanging on quite nicely.  You can see a little bit of damage from some cold mornings but it is thriving.  Cold weather is still possible, so I think some burlap over this pot is in order to help protect against a hard freeze.


No comments: