Thursday, January 31, 2013

A Walk Around the Property

We survived the storms last night.  We got a good deal of rain and wind, but it was not as bad as we expected.  I could hear the awnings thrashing about with the squalls of wind during the night.  There is some flooding this morning in Montgomery County, MD which is north of us.  News reports of people being caught in their cars in flash flooding.  Others driving through standing water and finding themselves being washed away.  The sky was just beautiful when I made my way outside for the first time today.

A fairly clear sky this morning as seen through the sweet gum trees at Crest Avenue.

The weather yesterday was very spring-like.  Not so much today.  It was considerably cooler this morning than yesterday at this time.  We still have to make it through February and then hopefully we can begin to look forward to spring which arrives on March 21.  But we should not be foolhardy.  I have seen snow in March on more than one occasion.

I enjoy seeing the ornamental grasses even in the winter.  Here is one in the front yard.


I will cut this back to be level with the ground in about one month.  Once we start having days that are consistently warm, we will start to see green sprouts shooting up from the center of the root ball.

Unfortunately, the topiaries on either side of the front entrance have not faired well during this cold spell, which just goes to show that yes, even I make mistakes.



I cannot recall what these were called.  I saw them at the garden center last year and thought they would look wonderful on the front porch, so I bought them and placed them there.  I thought they were some kind of evergreen.  Obviously, I was mistaken.  It pains me to lose any plant, but these in particular because I was so pleased with how they looked.  So, . . . looks like we'll be off to Behnke's when warm weather arrives to get something new for these pots on the front porch.  This time I will make sure it is evergreen.

We also need to do some work to the privacy hedge we started along the front yard last year.  You know how when you go for your annual review one of the boxes they check to describe your proficiency in any one area is "meets expectations?"  The front hedge does not "meet expectations" right now.  We will talk about that more tomorrow.  Get ready for some very unpleasant pictures of that.  Ugh!!

No comments: