Thursday, January 10, 2013

A Table Full of Spring Bulbs

Again this year we are having a very mild winter here in the Mid-Atlantic.  We have been in the mid-50's during the days most of this week.  Temperatures could be as high as 68 degrees on Saturday.  So I have taken advantage of the mild weather and have been working in the yard (see my post yesterday about ivy removal.)

As I do every year, I planted a multitude of spring flowering bulbs.  This year I decided to use all of the various sizes and colors of pots that have accumulated over the years.


In these pots there is an array of different flowers.  Mostly tulips, since tulips are my favorite flower.  There are pink and white tulips, flaming red parrot tulips and I believe an assortment of yellow tulips.  In addition there are some hyacinth and crocus.  I got all of these pots out of the garden shed and cleaned them with a mild soap and water solution and then set about planting.  This year I mixed into the soil an additive called  "Bulb Booster." 



I have not used this product in years past and have had some disappointment with bulbs not producing as I thought they should.  Hopefully, we will not have that trouble this year.


I decided to leave them all on this round, glass-topped table to over-winter.  I think this will be a beautiful display in the spring.  This table sits on the deck just outside of the sliding glass door in the kitchen.  So I won't have to cut any of them and bring them inside.  It will be like having a huge vase on the deck of these extraordinary flowers that I can enjoy every time I enter the kitchen.


While I was tending to my bulbs I decided that it was time for the deck rug to go.  It is well beyond being cleaned at this point.



So, I rolled it up, scrubbed the deck and moved the glassed-topped table (also known as a huge vase) back in place.


While I was out there, I thought I might as well run the leaf blower and clean up the patio as well.  You see Baxter's ramp to the left.  That is so he can have free and easy access to the back yard without having to handle going up and down the stairs.  Poor little guy and his fragile back. 

With our weather being so mild, I hope these bulbs get enough cold during the evening and nights so that they set and are ready to bloom in spring.  I hope to have magnificent photos to share with you then.

No comments: