Thursday, January 31, 2013

I picked up some of my favorite cut flowers; Alstromera.  You can find these in the floral department at most any of the large supermarkets.  In my area, I find that Giant Food usually has the best selection.  If cared for properly, you can get a week out of these and possibly even longer.  I trim the stems, remove the leaves on the lower portions of the stems and place them in a container with about two inches of water and a splash of Clorox.  Just a splash is all it takes.  If you would like a true measurement, I would say no more than one-half teaspoon of Clorox per quart of water.  It helps to keep the bacteria that forms at bay.



This is sort of an "artsy" picture that I took with my Fuji camera.  I love this camera.  I have not figured out all of the things it can do, but suffice it to say, it is capable of taking a good many different types of pictures.  I thought the way it just picked up on the light coming through the window to highlight the flowers while keeping the other masses of petals dark was particularly pretty.


I found a glass vase and placed the two bunches in there.  I adjusted them a little here and there and this is what I ended up with.  It doesn't take a lot to arrange flowers.  Each arrangement is subjective.  Each arranger will see it through their eyes and will either like it or start over.  It's all about what you like and what you want in your house.  Nothing could be simpler than using these little bouquets of alstromera that you can pick up while grocery shopping to add a little ambience to your house.  Just plop them in a vase of water, adjust a little here and there so there are no obvious holes, and set them out to enjoy.  I would have preferred this vase with three bunches rather than two.  So next time I'll pick up three bunches.  Enjoy the series of pictures I took which follow.









Fresh flowers in the house, especially this time of year, is as essential to me as anything else I can think of. 

No comments: