Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Ivy, Ivy Everywhere!

As we have discussed here in the past, I have large, mature Sweet Gum trees throughout the property at Crest Avenue.  These trees are easily 80 to 100 feet in height.  I am certain that they were part of the landscape of this plot of ground before it was cleared in 1947 to build on.






I also have lots of English Ivy growing throughout the property.  I like ivy, but it must be controlled.  In some areas of the landscape I remove it entirely, which is fairly easy to do since it is shallow-rooted.  If you intend on having it, you must commit to controlling it.  As you can see in the picture above, I have not done a good job of controlling it on this tree in the front yard.






I decided it was time to gain some control of the ivy problem on this tree.  So I removed an area between two and three feet wide and about three feet up the trunk of the tree.  You can actually see the bird feeder again.






The idea is that once this swath of ivy is removed, thus cutting off access to the life supporting vines at the base of the tree, it will eventually die and fall off.  This will work.  When I first moved into Crest Avenue in 2001 this same tree was covered in ivy and I used this method and the ivy eventually turned brown and fell off the trunk.






A closer shot of the tree trunk freed of heavy ivy.  There was little damage to the bark.  I was very careful to try and not damage the bark any more than absolutely necessary.  Most of the vines came off easily.  Some of the large ones needed heavier equipment to remove.  A pair of hand pruners made the job of removing the large vines a bit easier. 






I left a section about three feet high on the base of the tree trunk.  I am uncertain at this point what I will do with this.  I am certain that a horticulturist would tell me, without hesitation, to remove it.  But I think it looks nice  on the trunk of the tree.  If I maintain it at this height, hopefully that would not be a problem.  We will have to revisit this in the spring.  You will see in the picture above, and indeed, in all of these pictures, a tree in the background that is covered in ivy.  That tree is just over the property line and belongs to my neighbor.  So hands off on that tree.




This cute little birdhouse was also a victim of the heavy ivy growth of the tree.  The vines made their way under the side planks and damaged the copper flashing on the roof ridge.  So this has been put away in the garden shed until nice weather returns when we can do some repairs and hang it back on the tree for a family to move into in the spring when they return from Fort Lauderdale or West Palm Beach or wherever their winter residence is located.
Here is a little more information I found online that deals with removing ivy from a tree.

HOW TO CLEAR IVY FROM A TREE
  1. Cut a circle of English ivy around the tree trunk. Free a 12-inch tall section completely around the trunk. Ivy dangling on the tree will eventually dry up and fall down. Cut with pruners and/or lopers. Large vines may require a saw.
  2. Pull ivy from a 3-6 foot circle around the tree root, pulling as many roots as you can. Freeing this area of ivy will stop it from climbing back up the trunk.
  3. Cautiously dispose of the ivy. It resprouts easily!

So, if you like ivy and want it in your landscape, or if you already have it, just realize that you will need to take extra time to maintain it.



No comments: