Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Breakfast Sandwiches

You remember last week we talked about the new egg poacher we recently purchased which we were pleased to report made the perfect poached eggs.  I wanted to try scrambling eggs and cooking them in the same poaching pan.  So while Bev was visiting weekend before last, I got up early one morning and made breakfast sandwiches.


The first thing I did was to split and lightly butter four English muffins and place them about four inches under the broiler.  While they were toasting, I prepared the eggs.  We won't go through all the steps of setting up the poaching pan because we did that in the post last week when we made poached eggs.  This time I scrambled four eggs, added two tablespoons of water, two tablespoons of melted butter, salt and white pepper to the scrambled egg mixture.  I placed the poaching pan over the flame and waited for the water to come to a full boil,  Once the water was boiling, I poured the egg mixture into each cup until each was evenly filled and placed the lid on the pan.  I left them to cook, covered, for about 8 minutes for a good firm egg.  You want to make sure they are cooked all the way through.


While the eggs were cooking, I removed the English muffins from the oven.  Once the eggs were done, I removed them from the cups.  I placed a slice of Vermont Cheddar cheese on one half and a slice of Canadian bacon and the egg on the other half.


With the oven turned off, but still warm from toasting the muffins, I placed the tray back into the oven to let the cheese melt thoroughly and to keep the sandwiches warm until everybody started to stir.  Fortunately, everybody started to stir pretty quickly.  As I was working in the kitchen I received a text message from the guest bedroom upstairs asking if anyone else was up to which I replied, "yes."


I soon heard the pitter-patter of adult feet making their way to the kitchen as they followed the scent of breakfast.  And what did they find upon entering the kitchen.  The most delectable breakfast sandwiches every made.

These are so easy to make and just incredibly delicious.  A great weekend treat for the whole family and something that I am certain guests will love also.  Make breakfast sandwiches at your house this weekend!