Thursday, September 11, 2014

More Cactus Talk

We are going to follow-up our post from Wednesday with a little more cactus talk.


Steven traveled to Arizona recently for business and on his return I was presented with this box. Whatever could it be?


A cactus garden of course!  Knowing my love of these thorny garden beauties, he picked up this cute little trio of cacti which I was only to happy to receive.


So, ... let's see if I can name the genus of each.  Starting left to right, ... Pilosocereus pachycladus, Opuntia cactus, and Echinocactus grusonii, or Golden Barrel cactus.  It took a while to look all of that up because, believe me, I do not hold that knowledge in my head.


The kit came with this bag of presumably some description of potting soil suitable for cactus.


Here is the little glazed pot, some decorative pebbles to be spread on top of the soil once the cactus are planted, and an Arizona sign.


So, into the dish with the soil.


Then a little time positioning the cacti.  Be careful.  They are small but those thorns are prickly.


Finally happy with just the right placement.


And then we added the Arizona sign.  I don't know if the Arizona sign will remain but for now, it's there.


We added a little water and found a nice sunny spot for them.  I'm looking forward to caring for these and watching them mature.  So concludes our cactus talk, ... for now!!

No comments: