Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Snickerdoodles, Anyone?

Snickerdoodles.  Who doesn't like Snickedoodles?  I don't think I've ever known anyone who didn't like them.  It has been many years since I made them, so I thought it was time to get busy in the kitchen.

I made the dough after dinner on Thanksgiving and put it into a Ziploc bag and placed it in the refrigerator overnight.  The next morning, I took it out and started preparing the cookies.



A little bit of dough pinched off and rolled in my hand.  Then rolled in a sugar and cinnamon mixture and placed on a cookie sheet lined with a silpat.  These are about 1" in diameter.  Into the oven they go for 8-10 minutes.  The idea is not to cook them too long because you want them to be chewy.





And this is what emerges.  Beautiful Snickerdoodle cookies.




I let them cool on the silpat for just a couple minutes.





Then I moved them to stacking cooling racks to cool completely.  After a couple minutes out of the oven you can move them to the cooling racks by hand.  I prefer to use my fingers to do this rather than a spatula.  The spatula drags along the underside of the cookie or catches on whatever surface they are on and they end up misshapen.  I don't like that.  If you use your fingers you do not have that problem.




A beautiful container of cookies.  I lined the container with parchment paper and then filled it to the brim with cookies.  I did not put a Hershey Kiss in the center of each as some people do.  Either way they are delicious.  I will give you the recipe in this post.  I shut down the Food and Entertainment pages because I did not like the way they worked.  All you could do was add a recipe to a long list of recipes rather than making a separate page for each recipe.  If I just give the recipe in the related post, then you can do a search within the blog posts and find it much easier.  We are all about streamlining and making things easy at WTCA.

Snickerdoodles

INGREDIENTS:

1 cup shortening
1-1/2 cups white sugar
2 eggs
2-3/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons white sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

DIRECTIONS:

1.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

2.  In a large bowl, mix together the shortening and 1-1/2 cups of white sugar until smooth.  Stir in the eggs one at a time, blending well after each.  Combine the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt; stir into the batter until blended.

3.  Roll the dough into balls the size of small walnuts.  Roll in a mixture of 2 tablespoons sugar and 2 teaspoons cinnamon.  Place 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.

4.  Bake in the preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned, but still soft.

No comments: