Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Thanksgiving at Crest Avenue

Thanksgiving 2013!  We had a very nice day at Crest Avenue.  A fire in the fireplace and the Macy's Day Parade on the television.  A pitcher of Tomato-Beer Coolers and good company.  A really spectacular day. First up, the Tomato-Beer Coolers.



These are so good.  I find them very refreshing.  It's like making a Bloody Mary with beer instead of vodka. You see here that I started out with a large bottle of Campbell's Tomato Juice and a six-pack of good old Budweiser beer in the 12 oz. cans.  I used celery in mine but the recipe calls for green onions as stirrers. Either will work.  Make sure the green onions are not too ripe.  You want to be able to swirl the drink around with them and you want them to look pretty in the glass.  Over-ripe ones will be wilted and sad looking.  Not a good look for the bar.




Here we have the celery thinly sliced and the first Beer-Tomato Cooler mixed and in the glass.




The celery makes a nice presentation.  I think this is so pretty.




And another shot of that same glass.  You want to make sure that your tomato juice and beer are sufficiently cooled.  I had both of them out of the refrigerator for awhile, so I added a couple small ice cubes.




As the evening wore on, I switched to a larger glass and added a lemon wedge.  The lemon wedge eventually made it's way into the drink which only enhanced the flavor.




I am supplying a copy of the recipe for these on this page.  This picture was taken directly from the book I used to make these.  Basically it is 1-1/2 cups tomato juice mixed with 2, 12 oz. cans of beer.  They suggest green onions for the stirrers.  I say green onions or celery, but celery only in thin strips.They say "if desired" add red pepper sauce, salt and pepper."  I say definitely add Texas Pete pepper sauce (a few drops to your liking), salt and a tiny bit of black pepper.  They do not mention adding the lemon wedge, but I suggest you do just to give it a little extra zing.  You could also add horseradish.  I did not this time, but will experiment with that in the future.

So that was our drink of the day on Thanksgiving.  We will talk more about the dinner part of the day later.

No comments: