Friday, December 13, 2013

Bake-A-Bone

We are going to try something new for little Baxter.  We are going to make his treats rather than buying packaged treats.  And we are going to do this with a new invention (or at least new to us) called Bake-A-Bone.




I have been concerned ever since I heard that there were some cases of pets getting sick from eating processed treats imported from China.  When it was time to buy treats, I would scour the treat aisle looking for treats made and distributed by American companies.  That was no small endeavor.  We were relegated, basically, to the Blue Buffalo brand treats which I think is a good choice for any pet.  But if you can make their treats from fresh ingredients at home, all the better.  No different than making fresh food for yourself rather than eating processed food.  I still eat processed food, so actually Baxter will be eating more healthy than I.  And that's a good thing for him.  Not so good for me.

I saw this in a catalog from Ginny's (www.ginnys.com) and was intrigued.  It comes with the recipe book to make over 30 different flavors.  From what the instructions say, the treats come out of the baker somewhat soft.  They instruct you to heat the oven, then turn it off and set the bones inside the heated but turned off oven for a few hours to dry them out and make them crunchy.  Of course, they will need to be stored in the refrigerator.  But his store bought treats are stored in the refrigerator, so that will not change.  I store his dry food in the refrigerator and have since he came to live with me.  It just seems better to keep it in there in Ziploc bags than to leave it in the bag sitting in the closet.  Even though it is processed to be stored in the pantry, I worry about it staying fresh if not kept in the refrigerator.




The unit itself is shaped like a bone.  How cute.  As you can see from the box in the first picture above, there is space to make 4 bones at a time.  This will most likely become a once per week chore.  We will make fresh treats on Sunday for the week.  I think two batches of 4 will be enough for him for the week.  If you have a Great Dane or Saint Bernard, then of course you will have to allot time to make bones on probably Saturday AND Sunday.  We had a neighbor who had a Saint Bernard when I was in my teens.  What was that dogs name?  I cannot think of it.  Oh well.  He or she was a good dog.  Slobbery, but a good dog.  I have been around dogs my entire life.  I cannot imagine living without at least one.  I wish so much now that we had gotten Baxter's little brother.  I think momma had a litter of 5 and when we drove to Beaver Falls, PA to get Baxter, there were just two left.  Baxter and a brother.  I have regretted not getting his brother almost from the time we got back home.  I would have named him Brandon.  Baxter and Brandon.  But, it is what it is.  I'm certain Brandon found a wonderful home too.

This Bake-A-Bone arrived yesterday, so I have not had a chance to make any bones just yet.  That will happen this weekend.  What will we make?  Peanut Butter flavored?  Mint flavored?  Cheese?  All of those recipes are there.  We will see how this goes and talk more about it on Monday.

No comments: