Thursday, May 30, 2013

You Say Tomato, I say "YUM!"

There is nothing like a tomato fresh from the garden.  We hope to be enjoying these over the coming weeks and months.  I got this little garden all cleaned up over the weekend and got the tomatoes planted.


This year I planted the traditional Beefsteak tomato which I plant every year.  I decided to experiment with a new variety called "Black Krim."  The Beefsteak tomatoes, as most of you know, grow to a large size and are brilliant red - and delicious.

Traditional Beefsteak Tomato

The Black Krim tomato is a black tomato and similar in size to the Beefsteak tomato.  (You may also see them sold or referred to as Red Krim Tomatoes.)

Black Krim Tomato

My research tells me that this tomato has an intense, slightly salty taste.  It's name, Krim, is Russian and  Ukrainian for Crimea in the Ukraine.  The tomato is named for the Crimean Peninsula.  Like the traditional Beefsteak, it is perfect for slicing and for use in salads or any cooking.  I am very anxious to try this most unusual tomato.

No comments: