Friday, May 10, 2013

I Decided to Recycle the Whiskey Barrel Insert at Crest Avenue

A couple weeks ago, we talked about the aged whiskey barrel and we decided that it was time to let it go to that big patio in the sky.  It served its purpose faithfully for many years.  There was a plastic insert which was separate from the whiskey barrel and served as the receptacle for the planting soil for the various plantings over the years.  I stated in that post that I would put the plastic insert out for recycling day pick up because I did not have use for it and that I did not want to store it just for the sake of storing it.  But, I took a second look and decided, in fact, that I did have a use for it.


This is not the most attractive picture, but let's discuss what I am planning on doing.  There is an eave on my roof which carries rainwater to the gutter and along to the downspout.  This particular area of the gutter, when the rainwater is heavy, is unable to handle the volume, so the water splashes over the gutter and onto the ground next to the foundation.  That is not good.  So the plan is to dig a hole under the gutter where the water streams over the side and place this plastic insert into the hole.  There is a small drainage hole in the center of the bottom of this tub which will allow for slow draining of the water.  I will place a bag of pea gravel in the bottom to help hold it in place.  I think this is a very good idea and I am glad I did not put this tub out for the recycling crew to pick up.  Check back later for updates on this project.

No comments: