Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Our Continued Efforts at Spring Clean-Up

We made a trip to Lowe's on Sunday to pick up a few plants and other essentials in our effort to get cleaned up from winter and give a fresh look to everything.  We started with a couple bags of Miracle-Gro Garden Soil.


This blend is perfect for anything you are planting in the ground.  I have a boxwood that I transplanted in the front yard which is not looking so good.  We are going to replant it using this soil.  I expect things will improve once we do that.


I was trying to get a picture of the begonias here, but I didn't do a very good job.  They had the most beautiful flats of pink and white begonias.  Really stunning specimens.  So I bought I don't know how many in both pink and white and placed them in the pots on the front porch.



These little pots were filled with tulips not so long ago.


As the begonias grow in, they will fill these pots and be every bit as beautiful as the tulips.  I removed the tulip bulbs from the pots completely before I planted the begonias.  The petals had long since fallen.  The stems and leaves were brown which means that all the energy has been stored in the bulb.  I placed them in a brown paper bag and hung the bag on a nail in the shed until fall when we will replant them.


Then, who did I see in the back seat?  Little Baxter looking very handsome after his haircut a couple weeks ago at Paws of Enchantment.  He is always a very alert boy, watching everything that is going on around us.  It's like having my own little security system in the back seat.



And finallly, two little spruce trees for the planters on the deck.  These are just beautiful.  The needles are so soft and the fragrance is to die for.



They are such a nice touch here on the steps to the deck.



All in all, a good trip.  I spent many, many hours working in the back yard and along the side of the house this past Memorial Day weekend.  The weather was beautiful all three days.  No humidity, which is a real treat and very unusual here in the Mid-Atlantic at this time of year.  Normally the days have gotten warmer and the humidity set in.  I did not have the air conditioner on the entire weekend.  That, however, is all about to change.  We will hit 90 degrees tomorrow and that is what we can expect throughout the week and the weekend.  The weather guy also forewarns us that the humidity will be arriving tomorrow.  So good that I was able to get as much done as possible this past weekend.

No comments: