Monday, November 4, 2013

Halloween Ghost Cakes

For Halloween this year, in addition to the 40 bags of candy , I made these cute ghost shaped cakes.  Read on for more information on how to put together these fun and delicious treats.



*                    *                    *



First you will need this multi ghost-shaped baking pan from Wilton.  This pan does not have a non-stick surface, so spray each ghost cavity with Pam for Baking.

  


I have long been a fan of this cooking spray.  It works like magic.  When you coat this pan with a generous spray of Pam Baking and let each little cake cool for 15 minutes from the oven, there is positively no sticking to the pan.  They came out perfectly.




For these cakes, I used a Betty Crocker White cake mix.  One box will make six full cakes with a little left over.  Fill each cavity about two-thirds full.  You can make a few mini cupcakes in a muffin tin with what is left over.



Follow the directions on the cake mix to make the batter, fill each ghost mold and then place the baking pan in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes.  A little later you will have six perfect little ghost cakes.  I only had room for four on this cooling rack, so that's why you don't see all six




I used this Duncan Hines Whipped Frosting.  You can use any that you like.  Or you can make your own.  I was running out of time, so making my own was not an option this time.  Plus these containers had 15% more than the regular sized containers for the same price.  I'm not going to pass up that deal.  I removed the plastic lid and then removed the foil covering on the frosting container.  Set the open container in the microwave and heat on high for 15 seconds.  Then stir.  If you need to heat it some more, place it back in the microwave and heat for 15 second intervals, stirring after each, until it is smooth enough to pour over each cake.




I poured the heated frosting over each cake.  It covered the top and most of the sides of each.  Where it did not cover the side, I wet my finger and used that to spread the frosting over the cake.  No fancy tools needed.  A wet finger will do the job.  While the frosting was still a little warm, I sprinkled each cake with shimmering white sugar and added the sugared eyes.  Those are from Wilton and available at Target.  I know that for certain because that is where I got them.





*                    *                    *




I let the frosting cool and set up on each cake and then moved them to a foil covered cake base (you can get these cake bases at Sur La Table or Target or Walmart.)  A closer look at each cake is below.



Sue


Stu


Lou


Roberto

These are really not difficult to make and super fun on a Halloween party table.  Give them a try.

No comments: