Monday, July 18, 2011

Black Swan

We had movie night on Saturday night with our dear friend Lea.  Our selection for the evening was Black Swan.  Let's see.  Where do I start?  This is a very deep and brooding movie.  Kind of heavy.  It is certainly outside of the norm so I enjoyed it, but if you are feeling the least bit depressed or blue from just everyday life, I'd go with another selection until you are feeling better or until the Lexapro kicks in.  We took a couple intermissions to replenish wine glasses and for bathroom breaks, which is one of the advantages of watching a movie on a home theater system rather than in the local theater (not to mention you don't have to deal with traffic to get there and get back or the weather or loud people in the audience or uncomfortable theater seating.)  Lea prepared and brought popcorn in some plain brown lunch bags and taught us how to make popcorn in the microwave.  It's actually very simple.  You just pour in approximately 1/4 cup of popcorn of your choice (we used Orville Redenbacher), roll the top of the bag down a few rolls to keep the heat inside the bag and place the bag in the center of the microwave.  Set the timer for 3 minutes but watch it carefully.  As soon as the popping slows or stops, take the bag out and you have wonderfully fresh popcorn without all the chemicals that are in traditional microwave popcorn and without all the oil used to make popcorn on the stovetop.  You can add what you like after it is done popping.  We opted to go au naturel and have it with no seasonings at all.  But a little salt sprinkled over the top or some parmesan cheese would have been good.  I'm a fan of the no-salt potato chips, so having this popcorn without salt was not a problem for me.  I know that's weird, especially since I have been a salt-o-holic for years, but I rather like the natural flavor of the chips or the popcorn without salt.  A little melted butter would make this delicious too.  So there's no need to run out and buy an air popcorn popper.  You can do it right in the microwave.  Delish!!

2 comments:

gwen.wakefield said...

Ohh, how have I never heard of this microwave popcorn option? We'll be trying it very soon. I'm NOT a fan of any kind of chemical vapor!! In fact, I tend to be very paranoid about them.

At Home with John Newman said...

So my first bit of advise has a follower!! How exciting.