Sunday, March 4, 2012

Holloway House to the Rescue

During a very heavy rainy period last year, what had been a small leak in the roof of Crest Avenue turned into a much bigger leak.  What ended up happening was a small portion of the ceiling in my office collapsed.  That would have been bad enough on its own.  But it collapsed on top of my desk destroying a lamp and a number of other office furnishings.  Wallboard, insulation from the attic and an enormous amount of water covered the room.  Not a pretty sight.  Luckily I was here when it happened and was able to get the water up rather quickly.  The ensuing clean up took days.

The water, unfortunately, damaged the floor.  The varnish, in places, bubbled up.  I went over it was a steel wool pad and then vacuumed the floors well.  But this is what I was left with.


I decided to apply a new floor finish today to see if I could bring back some of the luster.  I used Holloway House Quick Shine.  I'm sure many of you have seen this advertised on television.  It is very easy to apply.  I used a large sponge, like you would use to wash your car.  I wet it with warm water, wrung out as much of the water as possible, and then applied the Holloway House solution to the floor.  I sprayed the solution directly on the floor and then applied it with the sponge.  You could apply it to the wet sponge and apply it that way too.  Two applications later, this is what the floor looks like.


Not bad for a 60+ year old floor that was in need of refinishing even before the ceiling collapse.  So, just a quick post to let you know that of all the products advertised on television, this one really does work as advertised.

No comments: