Saturday, March 17, 2012

Before Stone, . . . After Stones

The warm weather this week has brought with it a bit of spring fever.  Time to get out into the garden and start preparing for the season.  I will be hosting a birthday party at the end of May, and there is lots to do to prepare for this event.  I removed the arborvitae in the two planters on the front porch and replaced them with Japanese Sky Pencil Holly.

Japanese Sky Pencil Holly

These are so simple and beautiful.  They will add nice height to the front entrance and give a nice, clean look.  Normally I leave enough room on the top of the soil in any planter to lay down some mulch.  But I wanted to do something different with these planters.

Before Stones

So I decided to add some small stones on top of the soil.


After Stones

A really nice look.  Mulch would look nice in these planters also, but if you are looking for a little different look than the usual mulch layer, give this a try.

No comments: