Sunday, March 4, 2012

A Lazy Sunday Morning

It is a beautiful Sunday morning in the nations capital.  Brilliant sunshine.  Spring is just a couple of weeks away.  I have been putting out suet for the non-migrating birds during the winter months.  I have been buying the cakes individually at the local home improvement store.  Yesterday, I found this box of 10 suet cakes at the local Aldi for $7.99.


That comes out to about .80 cents each compared to $1.59 each that I have been paying.  I want the birds to be happy and I want them to be fed.  But if I can achieve their happiness and full tummies at half the price, then that's the route I'll take.

I ventured a little further into the yard and found other signs of spring as you see below.


You see the hyacinth starting to bloom.  I have planted heuchera in this pot also which will flourish once the warm days stay consistent.  We will get a splash of color early in the spring from the hyacinth.  When the blooms are gone, I will cut them back and the pot will overflow with the heuchera for the rest of the season.

I like this idea of planting different things in a single pot.  I have a whiskey barrel also that has different plantings that display at different times.  That has not started to bloom yet.

No comments: