Wednesday, August 15, 2012

New Orleans, Round Three

Thursday was my final day in New Orleans.  I was up early and out the door because there was a lot I wanted to get done before I returned home.





Cafe Du Monde was the first stop of the day on Thursday.  It was quite a few blocks from the hotel.  But I was out and on my way early so it was not yet so hot and humid that is was unbearable.  The big attraction here is the beignets.  There are 3 beignets per order, so I placed an order for two, giving me six beignets, and a small decaf coffee.  I must admit that these are quite tasty.  Especially with coffee.  Keeping an ever watchful eye on my blood sugar, I only had one beignet and took the remaining five back to the hotel room.  Later that night I had a hankering for a bite of another beignet and when I opened the bag, to my surprise, there was only one left.  I wondered what happened to the other four?  Then Steven came out of the bathroom with powdered sugar all over his face and I had my answer.  I guess he really likes beignets.  And who could blame him.  They are delicious.

Across the street from Cafe Du Monde was this beautiful park.  This was the sign posted at the entrance.  It is known as "Jackson Square."

I loved this oversized planter with the vine planting.  It is like a giant Chia Pet!!  I would love to have one of these at Crest Avenue.


And this magnificent palm.


When I entered the square, I found myself surrounded by these beautifully manicured gardens.  In the distance is St. Louis Cathedral.  Here is a blurb about this historic landmark taken from the cathedrals website:

"Few cities in the world are so identified by a building as is New Orleans. The city is instantly recognized by our cathedral and its position overlooking Jackson Square. The Cathedral-Basilica of St. Louis King of France is the oldest Catholic cathedral in continual use in the United States. As the caretakers of the Historic place of worship, we constantly battle the elements and the aging of the Cathedral with ongoing conservation and restoration."

Another shot from Jackson Square.  I love these beautiful tropical plants.

On the way back to the hotel, the sky started to look a little ominous again.



And, before I knew it, the rains came.  Lots of lightning and thunder.  What I found most interesting about the storms in New Orleans was how long they lasted.  When we have thunder and lightning storms in the Mid-Atlantic, they usually hit hard and then quickly move out.  Not so here.  They go on and on and on.

Below are a few pictures of the storm on Thursday.





The storm eventually made its way through the city and I was able to make it back to the hotel.  I decided to stop in the CVS from yesterdays post and pick up a libation for the evening. 



I decided to go with the Skinny Girl 4-pack Margaritas.  These are really, really good.  No sugar.  They are a scant 37.3 calories per bottle.  I am constantly keeping check of my blood sugar level, so these were perfect.
And so, there you have it.  A recap of my tour through the Big Easy.  It was a fun trip.  It's always fun to go somewhere new and explore all the area has to offer.

Next trip will be to Las Vegas in January.  It has been a few years since I've been to Las Vegas, so I'm sure I'll have lots to blog about.


No comments: