Tuesday, August 14, 2012

New Orleans, Part Deux

On Wednesday, I ventured out to see what this city was all about.  Our hotel was one block away from Rue Bourbon, so that's where I made my start.


This picture is not out of focus.  The windows in the gift shop in our hotel were foggy because of the cool air inside the hotel and the hot, humid air outside.  This is one hot and humid town, but surprisingly not any worse than what we have experienced here in the Mid-Atlantic this summer.  What I noticed in New Orleans is that they are not afraid to use air conditioning.  The hotel, the restaurants, even the little souvenir shops were all kept nice and cool.  That is a big difference from many places in and around DC.  Establishments here are very stingy with the cool air in the summer months. 



Upon crossing Canal Street and starting my venture down Bourbon Street, this was one of the first things I saw.  The Hustler Hollywood store and a little further down, Larry Flynt's Hustler Club.  I mean, it's all right out there for anybody looking to participate in such.  New Orleans is very much an adult playground.

A little further down Bourbon Street, I came upon these wonderful buildings with beautiful balconies.

After a beautiful walk early in the morning, I turned and started making my way back toward the hotel.  As I reached Canal Street, the sky starting looking ominous.


This is never a welcome sight.
 I made a mad dash for the Voo-Doo Mart and hung out in there until the storm had passed.







Finally, the rain stopped and I ran into CVS to pick up a few essentials.  Making my way to the checkout I noticed that the CVS in New Orleans sells a different selection of items that the CVS at home.




Quite an extensive selection of pain killers!
 So I made my way back to the room.  The storm passed but it was cloudy and raining off and on for the rest of the day, so I decided to spend the afternoon catching up on the episodes of Dallas that I had missed in preparation for the season finale that night at 8:00 PM.  It was a good day.

Make sure and come back tomorrow for a recap of day three in the Big Easy.

No comments: