Wednesday, August 22, 2012

It's Time to Order the Tulips

If you don't already know, tulips are my fav, fav, favorite flower.  I have an affinity for may different types of flowers, but in the end, tulips are my very favorite.  In the mail yesterday I received my annual edition of Dutch Gardens catalog.  (www.dutchgardens.com).  Needless to say, I spent a good deal of time perusing the pages.  Tulips by the dozens in every shape, size and color.




These are the Casa Grande Tulips.  These grow to softball size.  Plant them a little further apart than regular tulips.  I definitely want to give these a try.


Parade Golden.

Parade Red.

Pink Impression.

Ivory Floradale.
 These are just a few of the selection available.  I particularly like the standard, solid colored tulips.  But there are many hybrids available.  Of the hybrids I like the the Elegant Lady, seen below.



And the Silver Parrot, below.


And the Dallas, below.


I have had good luck ordering bulbs from Dutch Gardens.  I do not have good luck with the packaged bulbs that you can buy in big box retail or home improvement centers.  These bulbs either do not produce flowers at all or produce undersized flowers that are less than impressive.  I believe the problem comes from the fact that these bulbs are treated with some sort of chemical that retards their growth so that they will last longer in the stores.  Whatever the chemical, it definitely affects what is produced in the end.

Here is some information taken from the Dutch Garden website about how they grow their bulbs in Holland.


Holland's soils and climate are ideal for producing flower bulbs.
 "Most Dutch Gardens bulbs are grown along the northwest coast of Holland in the bulb-growing area known as the Northern Sand District. There are thousands of family farms in this region, all of which grow flower bulbs. Most of these farms have been in the same family for many generations, and the farmers' pride in the land and in the bulbs they produce is very strong. Growing bulbs for market is a business but it is also a passion."

So if you love tulips like I do, or if you would like to give them a try for the first time, I would definitely recommend placing an order with Dutch Gardens.

No comments: