Wednesday, June 6, 2012

The Bountiful Harvest

Fresh Broccoli, Celery and Spinach from Earth Boxes

I came home last night to find bags of fresh veggies on my front porch.  Where did these come from you ask?  From Steven at http://www.our-home-improvements.blogspot.com/.   Looks like yesterday was harvest day.  He uses these Earth Boxes to grow summer vegetables.  I must admit that I know very little about these boxes or how they work.  But he has used them for the past few years and the yield is unbelievable.  Here we have fresh broccoli, celery and spinach.  Sunday evening I received an enormous amount of  romaine lettuce.  I am told that there will soon be tomatoes and all sorts of other goodies.  I planted a beefsteak tomato plant and a banana pepper plant in a small garden area at Crest Avenue this spring.  They are doing well, but have not produced any fruit as of this writing.  I don't think I'm going to plant anymore vegetables since Steven seems to have the foolproof system for growing.

What you see in this picture will all be put to good use in fresh garden salads.  I'd like to make some broccoli soup too.  Maybe I should put in an order for some more broccoli.

Here is a link for my readers (and me) to go to for more information on these Earth Boxes.  Maybe it's worth looking into.

No comments: